Saturday, April 21, 2012

Creepy Crawlies

Growing up on a farm in Montana, my childhood was filled with summers diggin' in the creek collecting frogs, turtles, snakes, clams, and fish. By the end of the day my posse and I would be covered from head to toe in black stenchy creek mud, and have a cooler filled with our "catch". We would proudly haul it back to the house where species would be counted, we would play with them, and show them off to the parents. After dinner we would always have to release them again back into the creek. Boy did we have fun!

Now, 15 years later, I live in South Florida. I don't mind the little creatures here as long as they don't sneak up on me. I actually find them quite fascinating. However, I have been here a couple years now and I am still getting used to the new animals that I find creeping outside my house....and sometimes trying to creep in. It is not that they look so scary, it is just that I am not familiar with them and have no clue what sort of superpowers they may have.

Besides finding a cockroach, longer than my middle finger, in our house shortly after we moved in, I have ran across a few other creepy crawly creatures that are NOT native to Montana. There are toads the size of a personal pan pizzas, snakes representing every color in a crayon box, and iguanas that are big enough to make your Aunt Rita's yippee little Chihuahua disappear for good.

It has taken a little bit of getting used to.

My sister Jenna and I found the little guy shown below in a GUEST BEDROOM! How he made it in the house I have no idea. He looked very creepy! We have little geckos that run around outside all over the place. Everywhere you walk they scatter like grasshoppers. But this guy was not one of those cute little geckos. He was the big bad ugly cousin or something. He had bulging eyes that reminded me of glossed over cat eye marbles, a funky snake like pattern to his skin, and a tail that looked like it was removable. He also moved in a way that reminded me of an alligator.

After Jenna and I freaked out screaming and trying to catch him without touching him, we finally trapped him in a fold in the bed sheet on the side of the bed. We coaxed him into a little coffee can. Then we released him OUTSIDE, after I reminded him that is where he belongs in the first place.

Anybody know what this is called? If you do, please tell!





Last night, when Dan and I came  home I went to reach for the door handle to get from the garage into the house and LOOK WHO I FOUND right beside the door frame! We have frogs in Montana, but not like this. Look at his little toes/fingers. Isn't he cool!

I wanted to relocate him outside the garage. When I set a magazine next to him to encourage him onto, he sprung immediately past me. It was probably a good 10 feet. Amazing jump!

I shrieked of course, which made Dan wonder if I was being kidnapped. But hey! It startled me. Can you imagine if that little bugger would have jumped on my face with all that force!?!?! I can see it now! ...Frog over my eye like a pirates patch... Little fingers and toes suction cupped on my skin securely as I panic and frantically fly out the open garage door wildly running down the dark street screaming bloody murder...frog hanging on for dear life.

 Boy, wouldn't the neighbors wonder what I was smoking?!?!?

Thank goodness he jumped away from me :)

Isn't it amazing the quality of picture an i-phone can take?

Cute little dude.



No comments:

Post a Comment